Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Recipe: Jambalaya

I had a 2lb weight loss this week that brings me under the dreaded 200lbs!!
I haven't weighed this little in 3 years and it feels amazing. The following tasty and satisfying recipe is helping me lose weight while satisfying my need for hot comforting dinners in the winter months.

Jambalaya (adapted from a WW recipe)
Makes 4 servings
2 cups per serving- 9 points
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 17 mins

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion(s), sweet, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 medium green pepper(s), chopped (about 1 cup)
8 oz uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
29 oz canned stewed tomatoes, undrained
12 oz shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 pouches Uncle Ben's Microwave Ready Rice (Cajun flavor worked nicely)
1/8 to 1/4 cup Frank's Redhot Sauce (Use caution if you don't like spicy food)
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Oregano
1 tbsp Spicy McCorrmick Grill Seasoning (could sub in dried garlic, black pepper, salt, dried onion and red pepper flakes)

Directions:
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in chicken; cook, stirring, until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients, except rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Stir in rice; continue cooking until liquid is almost absorbed and rice is thoroughly heated, about 2 minutes. Yields about 2 cups per serving.

2 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

Your blog has all these great recipes....too bad I dont cook! Glad to hear you made it under 200! It might be a while before I see that! I am thinking somewhere in june maybe! You are doing awesome!

Ashley said...

Thanks Sarah! It's been a long and slow process, but that's ok because I just want to change my life. I know once it becomes habit I will be able to maintain this lifestyle.
You'll make it to "ONEderland" soon and I can't wait to hear about how good it makes you feel.