Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Big Week for Me

This past week was monumental for me.....

Monumental act #1: I haven't exercised in about a month because I can't bring myself to get to the gym with the early darkness and cold weather. So, I pick up the 30 day Shred DVD on Monday and it was excellent. I will push myself to do it every day until I am ready to kick my exercise up another notch.
Lesson learned: When I physically push myself and achieve my goals, I am more confident in all aspects of my life: work, how I dress, feeling more sexually attractive, how I manage stress, etc.

Monumental act #2: I drank a bit too much and caused myself to overeat on Thanksgiving (see previous post). I didn't, however, let the guilt spill over into the week, and I didn't over-indulge any other day.
Lesson learned: While being hard on myself motivates me to achieve great things, I can also be my worst enemy if I let it become a self-deprecating. By allowing myself to forgive myself and move on, I encouraged myself to succeed.

Monumental act #3: I let my emotions take over and I had a bit of a meltdown in front of my boyfriend. Due to the events in my life over the past three years (I lost my maternal grandfather whom I lived with growing up and greatly impacted the life I lead today, that same year my father injured his back which lead to constant doctors appointments, procedures, good news, but mostly bad news, long term disability approvals and denials, and both of these events broke my mother who had always remained very strong for me, always being my support system, but her attention and support was ripped away from me to deal with these issues and I am tired of only breaking down to my boyfriend) I have been bottling up a lot of different emotions for many reasons, but mostly because when I keep a positive attitude it helps me get through stressful times.
Lesson learned: Sometimes it's good to let it all hang out- the good, the bad, and the ugly. And boy was my meltdown ugly! But rather than be mad at me or leave me vulnerable, my boyfriend seemed relieved and comforting, as if he knew about the necessity of this melt down before I even felt it coming. Relationships constantly reach new levels and the good ones get there just when you need them to.

I think when dealing with weight loss, other aspects of our lives have to be reflected upon and reevaluated, because for most of us with some serious amounts of weight to lose, there is always some underlying issue that got us to be overweight, or that keeps us there.

2 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather, that must be tough. I commend you for not letting your bad day turn into a bad week! What is this shred thing everyone is talking about? Is it really hard...I dont do really hard!

Ashley said...

The 30 Day Shred is a video by Jillian from Biggest Loser. It's a 20 minute "balls out" strength, cardio and abs workout. I'm not gonna lie, I thought I might die the first two days, but I kept at it and it wasn't nearly as bad on Day 3. I actually feel stronger and firmer already.