Monday, March 2, 2009

Birds of a feather?

So this weekend culminated my move from my and my fiance's spacious 2 bedroom apartment to my future in-laws tiny home in Long Island, NY. The worst part, however, is that my fiance has not yet joined me here. His commute is much shorter from our apartment, so until someone is found to rent the place, he'll probably be staying there.

Why would I put myself through this kind of torture? The decision can be summed up in one symbol: $. That's right boys and girls, I am living rent free. That means I get to stash away my cash for an exotic honeymoon and a first home.

Until there is enough money for a down payment, however, I get to live under the watchful eye of the dieting nazi herself: my future mother-in-law. This women lives to be thin (and push this ideal on others). She eats the same thing everyday: cereal, yogurt, turkey sandwich, apple, grilled chicken, salad, and diet ice cream, sleep, and repeat. Needless to say our ideas of a healthy and fulfilled lifestyle greatly differ. She does, however, have a very balanced take on exercise: cardio 7 days a week, pilates and weights 3 days a week, and yoga 3 days a week.

On Sunday, I finally got back into the Shred. Then, I followed it up with a 5pm pilates session with the future mother-in-law. Today, I did the Shred again. Tomorrow, Shred again and another session of pilates. While I doubt I'll be restricting myself to the same foods everyday of my life, I'll definitely try to allow this positive influence on my exercise routine.

I guess birds of a feather really do flock together....

4 comments:

Ashlee said...

oh goodness! that's gotta be rough! but i'd do anything to have had a honeymoon, so save that money and have a great time! i couldn't eat the same thing over and over, but the exercise is impressive!

GeminiJulia said...

Hahahah--okay, not really funny for you, but this is the stuff that blockbuster movies & chick-lit novels are made of.

Channel your in-law frustration into your getting fit for the wedding :)

Carlos said...

wow your mother in law is a Nazi... awkward! I thought they all were on the run in Argentina or something.

H.G.H. said...

man you are brave!!! i could never live with my M.I.L. But at lease it sounds like she's motivating you on the exercise! keep up the good work!!!